Monday 17 April 2017

MintE: A Finished Quilt

I don't do commission quilts. I don't enjoy it. Quilting is a hobby for me and having someone try to dictate my time or creative process ruins the fun. I made an exception for my dear friend several years ago when she promised to pay for everything and let me make all the decisions. 

Then my sister asked me about making a quilt for a close friend of hers for a baby shower she was hosting. I wasn't thrilled about the idea but my sister agreed to paid. I told her she couldn't afford me. The problem was that once she told me the colours and idea I couldn't get it out of my head. So I agreed, though I charged her much, much less than it was worth. What she paid didn't even cover fabric, but I did make her buy the batting and ship it to me. Thanks Amazon!

So here is MintE, a quilt were the blocks were signed by people who attended the baby shower and then I supplemented those with whole, 50/50 and 4-patch blocks in the baby's nursery colours- mint and charcoal.
The fabrics are pretty and light and not too babyish, which I love in a baby quilt.
The name of the quilt comes from the primary colour, mint, and the fact that my sister requested I incorporate the letter "E" somehow as both of the parents have E names and the new baby will also have an E name. 
The backing is mostly this organic bear print I picked up when one of my LQSs was closing and all fabric was on sale.

This "E" in Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets in a special little personalized touch.
I will be passing this on to my sister, who will deliver this to the expectant mom (due in May). I hope the baby gets lots of use out of it. And remind me not to do more commission quilts.

1 comment: