Friday 9 May 2014

Dollhouses: A Finished Quilt

Friends of ours have six-month-old twins, a boy and a girl, and a two-year-old daughter (they're crazy, I know). When the twins came along I made them Jungle Jewel and Jungle Jam, bright, happy quilts for two sweet babies. When their older sister was born I had only just started quilting and so M didn't get a quilt from me. I knew I wanted to change that, so for her third birthday I made her this quilt, Dollhouses.

M's bedroom is pink and green (not my favourite colour combination, I have to say) so I pulled out what I had in my stash. A healthy stash means not having to go far when putting together a pull for a quilt! I had already decided on using Camille Roskelley's Dwell pattern from her book Simply Retro.

The pattern is quite brilliant in how you construct the houses and after doing the hardest work- all the cutting and arranging for each house- the piecing was fairly easy.

It is backed in a Robert Kaufman print called, I believe, Park and Ride. I bought it ages ago from Sew Sisters when it was on crazy discount. I think the houses on the front and the parks and trees on the back go so well together!

Here is Dollhouses (since M is a little doll):
Front
Detail
All 16 houses
  
Back. I didn't try to piece it so that the pattern repeated because it is a very busy pattern and I didn't think I had enough. Next time I think I would try to piece it.
  
Art Gallery Squared Elements for the binding (in pink, of course)

I think this my favourite of the houses.
Or maybe this one.
I hope the sweet little mischief maker who will be getting this in October will love her new quilt!

Lynn

2 comments: