Sunday 27 April 2014

Paper Piecing Take Two

I signed up for the Sugar Block Club run by Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock last year in the hopes that it would build my skill level in the way that In Color Order's (Jeni Baker) HST Quilt Along helped me build my skills in 2012.

I was right. It built serious skills. I used a bundle curated by Red Pepper Quilts with some additions from my stash and got to work each month. I fell behind in the spring and caught up again in the summer, only to completely stop when the fall got really busy.

Truth is, there was something else stopping me from finishing these blocks. And considering we're almost in month five of 2014, I know I need to get with it and finish this project.

See, three of the blocks involve paper piecing. It was something I had never done before and wanted to try. My first attempt was disappointing and frustrating. The piecing wasn't bad until I had to attach the pieces to get crisp points. After three attempts I pretty much gave up. 

Back in the saddle again! I've tackled the October block first because it is only partially paper pieced. I got lots of tips from quilty friends A and C and I dove in.
Templates cut, fabric picked and cut to size. Deep breaths.

I stitched using a 1.4 length stitch. It seemed to be the perfect length for paper piecing.

The points came out great. Now time to attach it to the non-paper pieced centre.

Ta da! Not too shabby! The points are very pointy and I didn't want to cry.
Next up I will tackle the two remaining blocks and then I can get to sashing and finishing this quilt. I'm thrilled!

How do you feel about paper piecing?

Lynn

1 comment:

  1. I have a love-hate relationship with paper piecing.(I love the results, but hate the process.) It has gotten a lot better since I discovered the add-a-quarter ruler, but it's still not my favorite way to make a quilt block.

    ReplyDelete