Monday 10 March 2014

Arrows in Flight: A Finished Quilt

A friend from work is expecting her first baby, a little boy, at the end of April. The baby shower is at the beginning of April and I wanted to make her a quilt. She requested camouflage theme (her husband is in the Canadian Armed Forces) or animals. I definitely went with animals.

Because this friend is a pretty classy lady and "cutesy" isn't really her thing, I tried for a more sophisticated palette and pattern. I used a free tutorial for a simple-but-visually-stunning layout from Quilt Dad. All the fabric is from my stash, including the backing fabric.

Thanks to some suggestions from followers, I was able to settle on the title Arrows in Flight, suggested by Pauline, as  it incorporates both the "arrows" on the front and the planes on the cute backing fabric.

Front of quilt. All fabrics from my stash. The ones I know are Kona Olive, Kona Cayenne, a Lotta Jansdotter print, an Art Gallery Squared Elements print and an orange Bonnie and Camille Happy-Go-Lucky print

This is my favourite print but I'm not sure what fabric it is.

The back is Kona Artichoke and Up, Up and Away by Robert Kaufman

You can see the free motion crinkling quite well on the back. I used Aurafil White on the front and Aurafil Light Blue on the back.

The binding is a Bonnie and Camille print from Happy Go Lucky. It is rainbow but still somewhat subdued (not circus rainbow). This particular print (and I have a few colours) is so perfect for binding. I should stock up before it is gone!
It is quite big for a baby quilt but I think it will get even more use being a bit bigger. I can't wait to give it to her...I hope it meets her expectations and that she loves it!

Lynn

2 comments: