Monday 19 August 2013

What I Learned

I recently stayed at my mother's house for two days because she had her knee replaced. Knowing that I would be away from my sewing things and that I would have lots of downtime while my mother rested, I brought lots of fabric to cut. Four quilts worth.

I cut this delicious bundle (all from my stash) into squares for an HST quilt:
This baby's nursery is green and blue so I love the combo!
I remembered how much I like this Joel Dewberry print which will make up most of the backing of the baby quilt:
I should have bought more!
I cut all the materials for the twins' quilts (due September). 

Boy colour scheme on top, girl colour scheme on bottom
These two quilts are ready to assemble. I even got all the sashing cut!
I feel ready to go!
I also cut the fabric for a gender-neutral baby quilt for  neighbours across the street having their first:
Ann Kelle Urban Zoologie is so stinkin' cute!
I learned quite a bit through this away-from-home experience. I learned that with no other distractions (like my daughter) I can cut lots of fabric. I could have easily cut another two quilts and still had time.

I learned not to take my ironing board for granted. My mother's is terrible, particularly the cover. I hated it so much I went and bought a new one the second day I was there.

I learned that my Oliso iron is more awesome than I thought. I learned this by bringing my old, cheap Proctor-Silex iron (from pre-quilting days) because it is so much lighter than my Oliso. It takes so much longer to iron with this light-weight!
Sorry, old iron. You didn't work very well. (Note the towel? That is because I pulled off the other cover immediately it was so awful).
Now I need to actually get the time to sew all these quilts together. First I have to finish my Little Red quilt, though, because baby A arrived right on time this Sunday on her due date!

Oh, and my father-in-law loved his quilt! I'm so pleased and hope he gets lots of use out of it!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment