Monday 24 June 2013

Thank You Kate: A Finished Quilt

My daughter, a precocious and happy four-year-old, is finishing her first year of school this week. She will be a Junior Kindergarten graduate. I can hardly believe it! She loved school and she loved her teacher, Kate. I decided to make a quilt as a year-end teacher gift and forgot about the fact that I am a teacher and June is crazy and how did I think I would have time to make a quilt?

I did finish (in the nick of time) but the quilt is smaller than I would have liked. Ideally it would have been a much more generous lap-sized quilt but I had to go with what I could finish, and this was the size (more of a smallish lap). I imagine (or wish) that she will use it curled up on the couch reading a good book. It is what I would do with it!

Here is Thank You Kate:
Backing: a print from Good Fortune by Kate Spain and a strip of a Kona Solid (not sure which one right now...it came in my Pink Chalk solids box)
The binding is Lilac Pearl Bracelets. The quilting is very simple- the forgiving S stitch on my machine with long stitch length.
The front and back look awesome together.
Used: Two charm packs of Kona White, two charm packs of Kate Spain's Good Fortune. Design: My own. It involved cutting all the charm squares in half and then reattaching them, then turning each block to get the pattern.
A close up of the pattern.
Yes, it is a bit small, but I think it is very pretty and I hope it conveys to the teacher how appreciative I am for her efforts in ensuring my daughter had a great first year of school.

Lynn

Linking up to Finish It Up Fridays over at Crazy Mom Quilts!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely finish, Lynn. I'm sure it will be appreciated and loved. Really like the quilting...one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! That's a great teacher gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I have a Good Fortune jelly roll lying around (love Kate Spain), which I think would work for this pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! Great job. I'm sure she will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete