Sunday 5 May 2013

Comma Sutra: A Finished Quilt

When I saw the fabric line Comma by Zen Chic (on sale at Fresh Squeezed Fabrics this week!) I coveted it. (Not surprising considering my serious fabric problem). I did not buy it right away because I couldn't think of a specific use for it. Then I thought of two friends, both high school English teachers, getting married this spring. I ordered a layer cake the same day! After all, is there anything that appeals to English teachers more than punctuation?

I'm calling the quilt Comma Sutra because of the commas and because it is a wedding quilt. :)

I used Kona White for the sashing and a tutorial I found on Pinterest by Mommy by Day Crafter by Night.

It took several cracks at the layout to get it right, and my trimming of the blocks was not as accurate as it should have been. I still think it turned out looking fabulous!

Here is Comma Sutra:
Front- It is a very generous lap size perfect for two!
Straight line white quilting in the sashing, stippling with matching thread on the blocks.


Back- three different modern grey fabrics.



You can really see the impact of the quilting on the reverse.
This is a shot of the intersection between the three grey fabrics.
The binding is scrappy black and white and I think it might be my favourite part!


I hope they love it!
I don't know if I would do this pattern again because of the amount of waste from the trimming but I do think it is pretty visually stunning from a distance (particularly since you can't see all my poorly matched points from a distance). The modern fabric will appeal to them both, I think, and I know the male half of this couple will appreciate that it isn't flowery or girly. I can't wait to gift it to them!

Lynn


4 comments:

  1. I saw Comma in my LQS a few weeks ago and fell in love. I couldn't think of anything to make from it so I left it at the store. I love your quilt. It is such a perfect gift for two English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great looking quilt - I'm sure your friends will love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome and they'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they will! It's beautiful!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete