Thursday 9 August 2012

HST QAL: February Block (Oh @#%&!)

I was having a stressful morning running around getting organized for an impending trip, and I decided I needed a mental time out to make the February block for the HST QAL I am doing from In Color Order.



I picked out my fabrics, made my HSTs with the alternative method and then started piecing. I was in the zone, happily pressing seams and preparing the block. 
HSTs, trimmed and pressed


Block laid out for assembly
This is what the finished block is supposed to look like:
Picture courtesy of In Color Order
This is what my finished block looks like:
Yep. Oh #$%& is right. I didn't even notice it until after I had trimmed down the finished block to 12.5" and started pressing it for the picture. I felt deflated. Then I remembered why I am doing this QAL- to learn! And boy, lesson learned. If I had to tear it out and redo it, the fun aspect of the block would be ruined. I know people who would harp over the error in the finished quilt, but I decided not to rip it out. Had the quilt been meant as a gift, I would be redoing this whole stinkin' February block (which, if you read my earlier posts, I didn't even really like). The quilt will be going to my daughter, however, who will probably be using it for putting her "babies" to bed and curling up under during the reading of a good book. I think I can live with it being imperfect.

I will definitely be more careful with my March block!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

2 comments:

  1. These are the character building pieces of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm under the firm belief that the mistakes are what make your quilts special. If you wanted a perfect quilt, then buy it at Wal-Mart where they are mass produced. Your quilt carries all the love, frustrations, tears and joys that went into it so it's always "Mom" (or Dad, Aunt, etc). Good job even if it wasn't what you anticipated!

    ReplyDelete