Wednesday 18 July 2012

Pittsburgh Fabric Shopping

During a recent family trip to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania I insisted on a side trip to Allison Park, home of The Quilt Company. I was not disappointed! This picturesque home (converted to a huge fabric store/workrooms) had me drooling.


My patient husband encouraged me to "buy what you want," but I tried to be conservative(I don't think he understands the consequences of me buying everything I want!).  


In the end I am thrilled with my purchases. The women at the store were lovely and helpful and cut fat quarters when I couldn't find the ones I wanted.




This delicious bundle of turquoise and orange was put together by me. I love the colour combo, and when I saw the tutorial on Cluck Cluck Sew for a Squares and Strips Bed Quilt I knew I had to put together a 13 fat quarter bundle and try it for myself!


This flannelette I could not resist. I LOVE flannelette, and I know I will make some baby-related item with this gorgeous blue and white pattern. 
I picked up this Peak Hour by Riley Blake. The far pattern with the vehicles? I finished the bolt. It was 20% off if I finished it up- how could I saw no?
These bright rainbow fabrics will go perfectly with some other rainbow fabrics I am starting to hoard for some future baby quilt.
I had to get these fat quarters. I love the unusual grey (it doesn't show how dusty and lovely it is here) and the orange and white flowers on the grey? Amazing!

This brightly coloured fat quarter was calling my name. I have no idea how I'll use something some bright, big and bold, but I couldn't say no! (A pattern with me and fabric. Hah! How is that for a pun?)
I picked this one up and put it down a few times, ultimately deciding that one fat quarter of it couldn't hurt. Right?
These are some less exciting but super appealing to me fat quarters.
This one is not my usual taste at all. When I showed my sister-in-law my fabric choices, this is the one she fell in love with! She kept stroking it and eyeing it. Perhaps an idea for a future gift? Hmmm.
And this one (also a Riley Blake, Farm Friends I think it is called) was my mother-in-law's favourite! I squealed in delight when I saw it on the shelf. My husband shook his head at my taste but I LOVE it. I have no idea how I will use it, but does that really matter?


All in all a successful shopping trip! The only problem? Less than one week later I went on a quilt shop hop and bought TONS more fabric! I will post about that trip soon.


Lynn (AKA Buttons)


No comments:

Post a Comment